Dutch PHP Conference 2021 - Call for Papers


(PHP 5, PHP 7)

SoapServer::handleTraite une requête SOAP


public SoapServer::handle ( string|null $request = null ) : void

Effectue une requête SOAP, appelle les fonctions nécessaires et envoie une réponse en retour.

Liste de paramètres


La requête SOAP. Si cet argument est omis, la requête est supposée être dans les données POST brûtes de la requête HTTP.

Valeurs de retour

Aucune valeur n'est retournée.


Exemple #1 Exemple avec SoapServer::handle()

function test($x)

$server = new SoapServer(null, array('uri' => "http://test-uri/"));


Version Description
8.0.0 request is now nullable.

Voir aussi

  • SoapServer::SoapServer()

add a note add a note

User Contributed Notes 8 notes

dub357 at gmail dot com
8 years ago
After much headache and looking through PHP source code, I finally found out why the handle() function would immediately send back a fault with the string "Bad Request".
Turns out that my client was sending valid XML, but the first line of the XML was the actual XML declaration:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

When the "handle" function in the SoapServer class is called, it first tries to parse the XML.  When the XML document can't be parsed, a "Bad Request" fault is returned and execution of the script immediately stops.  I assume that the XML parser built into PHP (libxml2) already assumes the document to be XML and when it finds the declaration, it thinks it isn't valid.

I added some XML parsing calls to my service before the handle() function is called to check for valid XML and avoid the "Bad Request" fault.  This also allows me to send back a more suitable error message:

= xml_parser_create("UTF-8");
if (!
$webService->fault("500", "Cannot parse XML: ".
" at line: ".xml_get_current_line_number($parser).
", column: ".xml_get_current_column_number($parser));
Joeri Thissen
7 years ago
Sometimes returned data can contain characters which are not valid in xml 1.0. This causes the xml being output by SoapServer::handle to be invalid. Although it's probably better to sanitize the data ealier, a combination of output buffering and a simple regular expression can be used as a quick fix to make sure the output is indeed valid xml.

For example:

$soapXml = ob_get_contents();
$soapXml = preg_replace ('/[^\x{0009}\x{000a}\x{000d}\x{0020}-\x{D7FF}\x{E000}-\x{FFFD}]+/u', ' ', $soapXml);
Bas van Dorst
6 years ago
Additional information to the comment of "Joeri Thissen" (http://www.php.net/manual/en/soapserver.handle.php#113866)

In some cases the replacements generates a timeout (looks like it is in combination with Nginx). The problem is that PHP has already sent a content-length, and the webserver is still waiting for new content.

To fix this you have to reset the HTTP Content-Length with the right value:

$result = ob_get_contents();

$result = str_replace("abcdef", "abc", $result);
$length = strlen($result);
header("Content-Length: ".$length);
Blizzke at gmail dot com
12 years ago
Seems pretty logical once you find the solution, but it took me quite a while to figure this one out:
If you are using WSDL based SOAP requests and you have more than one operation in your binding (with the same parameters), make sure the <soap:operation> style is set to rpc, NOT body!

When you specify 'body' here, all that will be transmitted in the request is the parameters for the function call, and SoapServer->handle() will use the first function it finds with the same parameter-makeup to handle the call.

ie If you have 2 functions:
function One ( string $blah );
Two ( string $blah );
Making a client call with SoapClient -> Two ( 'test' ); will result in One ( ) being called when your 'type' is set to 'body'

The actual method to call will only be included in the request when your type is set to 'rpc', resulting in the expected behavior
prenaud at profideo dot com
9 years ago
Please note that when defining several services in one wsdl file, and calling one of those services, you may always get the response for your first service.

This is a known bug. You will find its description and some workarounds here  : https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=49169
Artur Graniszewski
11 years ago
Be aware that SoapServer::handle(); method sends additional HTTP headers to the browser. One of them is "Content-Type: application/soap+xml". If you want to execute SOAP methods locally as a part of SoapClient::__doRequest() (see example at http://pl2.php.net/manual/en/soapclient.dorequest.php ) you may need to reset (override) this header back to "Content-Type: text/html" like so:

function Add($x,$y) {

LocalSoapClient extends SoapClient {

__construct($wsdl, $options) {
parent::__construct($wsdl, $options);
$this->server = new SoapServer($wsdl, $options);

__doRequest($request, $location, $action, $version) {
$response = ob_get_contents();


$x = new LocalSoapClient(NULL,array('location'=>'test://',

header("Content-Type: text/html");


tom at backslashinteractive dot com
12 years ago
In response to Blizzke:

Sometimes this problem can be hidden by an Apache segmentation fault along with an HTTP headers error SoapFault thrown to the client.

If you get either of those 2, try checking to make sure that style="rpc" in your WSDL file's soap:operation's.

king dot maxemilian at noos dot fr
13 years ago
Sometime, it happens that PHP does not detect anything in $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA.

To solve this problem and make it work in any case:

function soaputils_autoFindSoapRequest()    {
    global $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA;
        return $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA;
    $f = file("php://input");
    return implode(" ", $f);

$server = new SoapServer($wsdl);

To Top